IISA® ICE MILE CHECK LIST
download: Ice mile check list
- An Ice Mile (“Ice Mile”) is an Ice Swim completed in water with a temperature of 5.0C or less, swum wholly in accordance with IISA Rules and Regulations.
- The Swim distance must be at least 1 (one) British mile or 1,609.3 (one thousand six hundred and nine point three) metres.
BEFORE ICE MILE ATTEMPT
- Read IISA rules
- Make sure you have qualified
- Have your medical check and ECG
- Measure the course from start point to end point. If you are in an open water, use GPS coordinates to make sure distances are accurate. MAKE SURE the
- Prepare your support team and medical support for the swim.
- Take pictures of:
- The course
- The three thermometers readings (5c or lower)
- Time and date
- Entry to water, exit from Water
- Recovery area
- Make sure someone is taking a 30 second video of:
- Entry to water - start
- Mid swim
- Exit the water – finish
- Make sure you have an IISA observer and a witness
- Take wind speed and air temperature (you can use local weather website for info)
- Make sure observer takes start and end time
- Make sure you have water safety covered
- Make sure you have medical support and emergency evacuation plan
- GOOD LUCK AND BE SAFE
AFTER THE SWIM - APPLICATION
- Make sure you have all the required info about the swim. See above.
- Make payment to IISA
- Go to IISA website and apply for your Ice Mile to be ratified:
- Load your 3 video clips, as required above, to YouTube and copy the URLs to the application
- If you swam longer than a mile, enter the exact distance, as long as it has a start and end point. Walking into the water and out the water – doesn’t count.
- Complete your Ice Mile application and submit it
- Once it has been approved by your observer and witness, it will go to IISA for approval.
- Once approved by IISA – you are done.